Monday, November 07, 2005

The superlative crimes!!

There are a number of web-sites which have reviews on everything under the sun. I keep checking one such site at times. Today I stumbled upon the reviews for the film ‘Black’. And that’s the reason for this blog.

The accolades for that film left me pretty confused.

I did see that film. And I found it a pathetic, contrived and appalling movie. This is in no way belittling the theme of the movie and the sentiments it aspired to showcase. I thought I am feeling that way because personally I’ve always felt a streak of hypocrisy and forced emotions in Bansali’s works. It is really a brave attempt by Bollywood standards to give a sensitive film. But I felt that attempt falls flat because it is forced on the viewer. This is fundamentally contradicting. However, I did expect a lot of people to like it for reasons I hated the film. The performances were good and technically it was well shot. And since there were enough fans for Bansali’s earlier works like ‘Devdas’, I was sure ‘Black’ will be talked about.

But boy, I was not prepared for ‘greatest film from Bollywood in recent times’, ‘Indian cinematic event for more than a quarter of a century’, ‘Sure-shot Oscar winner’ etc.

I realized is not just about the superlatives for ‘Black’. Its not about whether my views about 'Black' is wrong or someone else is right. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinions. Its not about that.

Look around. Almost every participant in the ‘Indian Idol’ competition is a great talent. All film actors are great dancers. There are no lesser music directors in the film industry. All are great. So is every hit film director. Even Television has its greats, every channel. All politicians are great in their region. The Indian Cricket team almost every time when it takes to the field contains 11 great players and 1 great substitute (and of course 1 great super-substitute!).

And finally, one of my own blog posts has been referred to as ‘Great’.


Aside: Isn’t that one hell of an example of self deprecation demonstrating great modesty ;-)!

Fundamentally, somewhere I feel we have lost that sensitivity to this word – Great.

When you think more on this, it is a far serious an issue than it appears at the outset. Guess we are surrounded by a sea of mediocrity that we have forgotten excellence. So much so that, occasional flashes of above average behavior is pretty much a great event in itself.

5 comments:

P.S. Suresh Kumar said...

hi ram,

well said, amongst the mediocrity an average effort turns Great. I do accept that but "Black" may not be the fitting example for it. do read my reply to your comments on my blog. I never thought a revu of mine would upset one to this extent.

. : A : . said...

Agree that we often tend to use superlative words too freely. 'Great' is a 'good' example.

venkat said...

I agree the word "Great" as a superlative has been grossly overused. I haven't seen the movie black but you are right about the indian cricket team whose talent has been always over estimated and the blame was made to fall on the system.

Brood Mode said...

well said! agree totally

Ram said...

suresh kumar > you have not upset me or anything like that. its your personal view afterall. my post is on the general tendency that we seem to have developed. 'black' happens to be a point in the discussion. but now seems a 'great' one at that ;-)!!

thanks for your views.

.:a:., venkat, brood mode > thanks for dropping by and reading.